Monday, January 11, 2010

Homemade Handmade Gnocchi

I hadn't heard of gnocchi until I came to Italy.  As soon as I tried these little pillow-shaped pasta, I was smitten.  They are actually made from potatoes rather than flour and resemble dumplings in taste and texture.  They go well with tomato sauces but I prefer them with cheesy ones.  I've had them in restaurants and I found fresh ones at the grocery store.  I then came across a recipe that seemed do-able and soon discovered a new favorite comfort food that I can easily make myself.  You should give it a shot too... you will certainly be surprised.

A visual demonstration...of Giada's gnocchi recipe from Everyday Pasta.

Start with two whole baking potatoes. 
(Giada suggests russets.  I used ones specifically identified for making gnocchi.)
Pierce them all over using a fork.


  
Roast them in the oven at 375 degrees F for 50 minutes.
or
Microwave on High, turning once, for 12 minutes.
Either way, cook until tender.
Cut potatoes in half and scoop insides into a large bowl.





Use a fork to mash the potatoes VERY WELL.
(This step is crucial for a smooth texture and to avoid lumps in the finished gnocchi)




Stir in one egg, lightly beaten.  Add one teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper.
Sift in 3/4 cup all-purpose flour.



Stir until blended.
(I used my hands to make this lovely potato dough ball)



Scoop out a small amount of the dough
Roll into a small ball.
Then, roll into a rope.
(Reminds me of making "snakes" as a child with Playdough.)




Cut the "snake" into 1-inch pieces.




Roll over the tines of a fork to make ridges.
Place on a baking sheet until ready to cook.
(I tossed my gnocchi pieces with flour to prevent them from sticking to each other or to my pan as I made the rest of the batch.)



Bring a pot of water to boil.  Salt the water. 
Carefully place half of the gnocchi in the pot.
Cook until the gnocchi float, about 3 minutes.
Scoop the gnocchi out with a slotted spoon and reserve in a colander.

For the sauce...
Melt butter in skillet with 1/2 tablespoon dried thyme or 1 tablespoon of fresh over medium heat until the butter's melted, about 2 minutes.
(Original recipe calls for 3/4 cup or 1 1/2 sticks!  I used a couple of tablespoons)
Transfer gnocchi to skillet.
Toss to coat.


 
Top with freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano or Pecorino Romano cheese.
 
 

 
Mangia!

No comments:

Post a Comment