Thursday, February 18, 2010

Worst Hotels

For me, the thought of staying in a disgusting hotel ruins the vacation. This is exactly why I plan and research hotels soooo much. I don't need the most luxurious accommodations- just clean and not gross. Good service is nice, too. Luckily, there's Trip Advisor (and Rick Steves) to help with the process.

Trip Advisor's 2010 Top 10 Dirtiest Hotels
Ewwwwww.

(For the United States, #3 and #4 are in Virginia Beach!)

Some highlights....

Foreboding but funny review titles
  • Cradle of Filth!
  • UUUGGGHHH!!!
  • WORST HOTEL I HAVE EVER STAYED I MEAN EVEEEER!!!
  • hell

A few lines from reviews
  • "Everything has a foul odor, including you once you check out."
  • "My husband and I now use the title 'The Cat Pee Hotel' to refer to this place."
  • "Avoid like the plague."
  • "I remember sleeping on the sheets in my sleeping bag."
  • "If hell has a hotel, this is it. I'm not surprised to hear it's on the dirtiest hotel list on Trip Advisor."

And these... you just have to read them. I can't even begin to summarize...UNBELIVEABLE!

Never again
"My boyfriend and i needed a quick place to stay for the night and i remembered seeing the Tropicana hotel online-the pictures seemed like a nice, clean, organized establishment. WRONG. well, we called to make a reservation & the guy at the front desk said that the computer system was down he would call us back in a few minutes confirming our reservation. We went and got dinner for about an hour and still no contact. I called back again & he said the systems were still down, however it would be back up shortly. We arrived an hour later to find the systems still down. The manager took our credit information which we were ok with & were understanding with the situation. We were then asked to sign a paper stating that we would not smoke in the hotel and so forth. HAHA. Since the computer system was down-they gave us a master key to the room instead of the usual key card. By this time, we were getting a little antsy. As we proceeded to our room, they realized they gave us the wrong key, so we can to come back down the hall to get another and proceeded to the elevator. The elevator looked like a service elevator. My own boyfriend preferred the stairs before getting on it but we took it anyway. As soon as we got off all you could smell was smoke which was funny because we both had to sign no smoking papers. It was like walking into an enclosed bar with absolutely no ventilation. We got to the door & put the key in to unlock it-i am not lying with the lock itself almost feel out the door handle....that's real comforting. I did not feel safe at all. As soon as we got into the room, we noticed mildew all over the walls, toilet, tub, vents...EVERYWHERE imaginable. Cigarette burns were all over the carpet...we had to leave. The staff was nice enough to give us a refund and they were at least helpful through the whole ordeal but that hotel either needs to be bulldozed down or needs MAJOR renovations. Even after leaving the hotel, we reeked of smoke. If you have kids and or are worried about secondhand smoke-stay as far as you can from this establishment. We ended up going to the Holiday Inn-it was a bit more pricey-but worth the expense."



Peeping Tom
"A member of the staff is a peeping tom! When we checked in, the Manager offered us a free upgrade to the 'Honeymoon Suite'. It was a set up. The 'Honeymoon Suite' had a vacant room next door that was 'under construction'. I was undressed to get into my swimsuit and heard breathing. I felt someone staring at me. I looked under the big gap under the adjoining room door. I saw eyes looking back at me! I freaked out and my husband (we were newlyweds) looked under the door and the guy was still there. We called the front desk and they send Maintenance up. Maintenance said there was no one next door because it was vacant. He knocked on the door to prove his point and, low and behold, the Manager answers! Needless to say that the Maintenance man was dumbfounded, my husband almost beat the Manager's butt and I felt violated. I had to fight to get my money back. Then I struggled to find another place, but everywhere had two night minimums. I hysterically described what happened to the 2 desk clerks at the Howard Johnson's next door. They ended up letting me rent for 1 night and told me that isn't the 1st time they've heard that the Manager at the Tropicana is a pervert!"


 



 

1 comment: