Thursday, February 11, 2010

Confessions of a Travel Planner

Confession time.  Some of you know this already and the travel style quiz only confirmed it, but I'm ready to admit it to everyone out there.   
I am a little obsessive when it comes to travel planning.  Really? ME???  (Can you sense the overwhelming sarcasm?)
 
Ah. It's true.  I research every little thing.  I wasn't always like this and haven't been obsessive on every single trip we take.  I recall a visit to London last year...


We were meeting Eddie and it was his second time to lovely London.  So, I didn't do much to prepare.  I figured Eddie was the pro and I put him in charge.  I decided this time I would leave the planning to someone else and just show up.  (Like hubby does EVERY trip.)  I actually took the "wing it" attitude a little too far and forgot to bring specific directions from the airport to the hotel.  I had looked at the route on the map but didn't document it.  I knew what street the hotel was on, but I didn't even have the number.  Eddie didn't have a phone so I couldn't call him.  I hadn't written down the phone number of the hotel either.  We wandered around a few blocks at Victoria Station a couple of times until I finally bought a map.  A massive crisis was avoided and we found the hotel, eventually. 


Now, mostly because of that experience, I may be a little too obsessive.   I research and write down EVERYTHING!  I consult my Rick Steve's book (THE travel bible, in my opinion) a-million-and-one times for every detail regarding whatever we're doing.  My past travel partners can attest. (I apologize now for past and future control-freak behaviors...) It may sound neurotic but it makes navigating a new city much less stressful.  And, I feel being as informed as possible creates the best experience.  No regrets.  (I think it's just the control-freak speaking.)  I can admit "winging it" does have its moments.  We have discovered many neat pubs, bars, cafes, and shops by just wandering.

So, if you travel with me,  be prepared.  I've got almost every detail covered.  I may let you pick the restaurant for dinner, but it's got to be from the guide book of course...
      

No comments:

Post a Comment