Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Arrivederci Ferie di Agosto!

It's almost September and in Italy that means Ferie di Agosto is over! Ferie di Agosto is Italian for August Vacation, and usually lasts for 2 to 3 weeks, sometimes the whole month. Almost all the shops close their doors and the owners vacate the city. Good for them, not so good for me. This past month I had to seek out alternative locations to do my food shopping. It doesn't sound like a huge deal but I walk everywhere and shop the old fashioned way- a panificio for bread, a macelleria for meat, a frutta e verdura for produce, etc. Tromping all over the city in 90+ degrees to only find "that veggie place I remembered on the corner is ALSO closed" wasn't my idea of fun. Now I'm smiling again because the shop owners are back in town and open for business. You know you are a local when your butcher asks you about your vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment