Monday, September 7, 2009

Turn the Page

I don't need to tell you about the huge hype over HD flat screens and the "how big is yours?" complex. You already know, so.... "How big IS your HD TV?" Michael and I can only dream of HD because we don't have a TV here in Italy. What? Yes! Let me say it again. We don't have a TV. There. Now that you're over your shock, continue reading....

For as long as I can remember a TV has been the center of our household entertainment. I would sometimes just turn it on for "noise". I never noticed how quiet an apartment can be without one. It's sad to say, but it has been an adjustment. So instead of channel surfing we are page turning. I have read more books for leisure in the last year than I have in the past five years. Some have been great and others have been just words on a page. I even caught up/finished the Harry Potter series. When Book 7 came out, I still hadn't read Book 6! I blame grad school on that one. Not having a TV has actually enabled me to rediscover my love of reading. Good books let you escape for the evening, while great books alter your thoughts and change the way you look at things. Books are like Tivo or DVR, your story is ready and waiting, you can "rewind" if you need to, plus no comericals! Now, pick up a book and turn off that TV. It rots your brain anyway. ;)

If you are looking for a new read, here are some of my recommendations.


A Wolf at the Table: A Memoir of My Father (prequel to Running with Scissors) - Augusten Burrroughs

Running with Scissors - Augusten Burroughs

Gone with the Wind - Margaret Mitchell

The Bridge of Sighs - Richard Russo

The 13th Tale - Diane Setterfield

The House of Spirits - Isabel Allende

The Road Home - Rose Tremain

The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafón

Middlesex - Jeffery Eugenides

The Glass Castle - Jeannette Walls

I am currently reading The Book Thief by Markus Zusak and I'm really enjoying it so far.

Are you reading an amazing book? Share the title and author by posting a comment.
Happy Reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment