Monday, December 21, 2009

Holiday Recipe Hunt

I'm on a mission.  I'm searching out special seasonal recipes with Italian flair.  It's my first time cooking Christmas dinner.  And even though it's only for two, I'm aiming to make it special.  It's also our one and only Christmas in Italy, so I want to attempt something traditionally Italian. 

Vigilia di Natale (Christmas Eve) is usually meatless and the menu features seafood. My research lead me to the "Feast of the Seven Fishes."  It seems the tradition may have began in Sicily and worked its way across the pond to the Italian-Americans.  The number seven seems to symbolize the seven Sacraments of the Catholic Church.  It's questionable if the Italians actually apply this symbolism to their Christmas Eve meals.  I'll have to consult with my Italian acquaintances for further confirmation.  Regardless, in the Catholic faith, no meat is eaten on holy days and I am sure their dinners are laded with seafood.  Midnight Mass follows.  An interesting side note.... This year's Midnight Mass performed by the Pope at St. Peter's Cathedral will be held at 10 pm rather than midnight...I suspect due to the Pope's evening energy level.   
      
As with non-holiday cuisine, menu specifics for Cena di Natale (Christmas Dinner) vary based on the region. Pasta will definitely be present.  Here in the north, lasagna is a biggie, as is tortellini brodo (tortellini pasta in broth).  A roasted meat usually follows and the type- poultry, pork, or beef varies based on the traditions of the family and region.   




And let's not forget about New Years Eve.  It's also hubby's birthday, so I really want to provoke some shock and awe for that one.  I've found a champagne risotto combo that seems fitting.  I'm thinking of possibly a calamari antipasta to start...  I've already selected the recipe for his birthday dessert, but won't reveal until after the celebration.  I want to keep it a surprise....
   
New Years Day typically features lentils.  They are thought to bring prosperity and good fortune for the new year. 


Christmas sweets round out the list.  I usually make cream cheese cookies, actually a cookie/cake hybrid- the traditional Christmas cookie for my family.  I'm looking for a new recipe that I can master sans mixer.  (I'm working with very limited baking equipment.  At least I have measuring cups now...)



No comments:

Post a Comment