Friday, October 23, 2009

What's for Lunch?

Salad! It's my go-to for a quick and healthy lunch. No recipe here. I just start with a base of greens, and then add whatever cheese, nuts, fruit, and veggies that I think go well together and/or look fresh at the market. Fruit in a salad seemed strange to me at first. My wonderful friend Jenny convinced me otherwise. Just try it once and I think you'll be hooked. Dried fruit such as cherries or cranberries are also tasty. And, I toast the nuts to bring out their flavor and to add richness to the overall taste.


For the dressing, I keep it super simple. Olive oil and balsamic vinegar go well with every combination. If balsamic vinegar is too strong, try a white vinegar. In the summer, I like olive oil and lemon. I’ve been known to mix it up every now and then with a Dijon mustard lemon one. Here are the fall combos that I’ve been creating lately.


Salad #1:
Mixed greens
Apples
Parmigiano Reggiano
Toasted pine nuts







Salad #2:
Mixed greens
Radicchio
Pears
Feta cheese
Toasted walnuts





Salad #3
Mixed greens
Pears
Grana Padano cheese
Toasted pine nuts




And as a side to round out the meal- fresh focaccia bread I bought in the am from my neighborhood bakery.


Buon Pranzo!


No comments:

Post a Comment